•  Williamsburg, New Mexico, some history of Las Palomas

Las Palomas is just south of Williamsburg and Truth or Consequences on New Mexico 187. It's in Sierra County, as is Williamsburg.

Las Palomas is Spanish for "doves", abundant in cottonwoods along the Rio Grande River. It was settled in the 1850's by the Garcia and Tafoya families. Once the largest settlement on the Rio Grande, it had a post office from 1881 until 1964 and became an important supply point in the late 1880's. Nearby Palomas Gap was the site of a major transportation route and a toll road in the early 1900's. The town was moved a mile west of its original site when Caballo Dam was built in 1938 and the U. S. Bureau of Reclamation bought much of the original townsite. The first church was built in the 1860's and was in use until 1942 when the construction of nearby Caballo Dam caused flooding and destroyed it. A new San Isidro Catholic Church was built on the west side of town in 1945.

Photo opportunities abound in the Las Palomas area. There are the Organ Mountains, the Rio Grande River, Williamsburg, Las Cruces, and several ghost towns not many miles away.
New Mexico Wanderings next